Project Title: Cerulean Project - A Swire Shipping/USP Partnership
This phase includes the following objectives during the first year:
1) Consider available routes encompassing USP member nations between the Republic of the Marshall Islands and the Republic of Fiji to present a viable business case for the operation of a small, low-carbon freighter along selected priority routes;
2) Review low-carbon freighter vessel designs, based both upon prototype design concepts and well-seasoned vessels which have operated around the Pacific successfully over the years, and,
3) Provide thoroughly considered design specifications for a new class of vessel to meet Swire's needs of a small low-carbon cargo freighter to build and commission during Phase 2 and operate & monitor route performance over a 2-year period during Phase 3.
Project Cerulean aims to prove there are means of providing viable sea transport options to deliver more equitable, efficient, and comprehensive transport services to connect the remote populations widely distributed across the Oceania. The confluence of well-tested Pacific maritime traditions and technology with willing partners in applied research intends to yield both a vessel and a route designed to further serve the Pacific Island Countries in the coming years and merit further replication for sustainable sea transport operations.
August 26th, 2020 - The Design Review Team of the Cerulean Project has been joined by VPLP, a French marine engineering firm, to provide the preliminary design and cost estimates for the Cerulean vessel design.
The Business Case & Operational Plan has been delivered to Swire, and is now being finalized in accordance with requirements to prepare for the potential Phase Two activities.
Links & Resources
Please find additional coverage on the announcement of the project linked below:
- Fiji Sun - Swire, USP Look at Ships for Island
- BunkerSpot - Project Cerulean to Investigate Low Carbon Shipping in the Pacific Region
- MarineLink - USP, CNCo Join to Research New-Generation Low-Carbon Ships
- Manifold Times - Project Cerulean aims to new generation of small cargo freighters
- World Maritime News - CNCo Sets Sights on New Low-Carbon Ships for the Pacific Region
- Fiji Times - Solution to Support Identified Transport Issues